Green Card Information

From 1 January 2021 UK motorists travelling to the EU (including Republic of Ireland), EEA member states, Switzerland, Serbia and Andorra should prepare to carry a Green Card as proof of insurance.

Hughes Insurance will be issuing a Green Card to all of our customers who purchase, renew or make a change to your policy after 1st January 2021.

If you require a Green Card urgently please request one here.

A Green Card is an internationally recognised insurance document which provides proof of the minimum compulsory motor insurance cover required by the country visited. It is a hard copy document which must be printed. If you receive your Green Card via email, you must print this and carry a physical copy when driving abroad, electronic formats will not be acceptable.

It is no longer a requirement for a Green Card to be printed on green paper, this can now be printed on white paper in black ink.

If you are towing a caravan or trailer when travelling abroad, you will need to contact our Customer Service Team on 02891 817375 so that we can issue you with a separate Green Card.

If you require a Green Card for the following policy types please contact our Commercial team on 02891 817375:

  • Motor Fleet
  • Motor Trade
  • Agricultural Vehicle

You will find updated information on this page of our website should there be further changes to requirements.

Back to help centre